With automated secrets rotation, Doppler updates the password for a MySQL user at the interval you define. There's no need expose your database to the internet and Doppler will never require direct access to your database.
AWS Secrets rotation is currently in private beta in ca-central-1, eu-central-1, sa-east-1, us-east-1, us-east-2, us-west-1, us-west-2. Email [email protected] if you are interested in trying it out.
- Understand the Doppler rotation methodology, especially the two secret strategy
- Ability to create MySQL users
The Lambda proxy setup must be completed before the steps below
Once you've configured a Lambda proxy, the MySQL database rotation setup can be completed by providing the following properties, each of which are covered in more detail below:
- Database Rotation Configuration: The rotated secret name - which prefixes each individual secret - and the rotation interval
- Database Settings: Connection details used by the Lambda function to connect to your database
- Managing User Credentials: Username and password used by the Lambda function to connect to the database and rotate a user's password
- Users: MySQL users whose passwords are rotated
- Rotated Secret Name: The name of the rotated secret object; it will also prefix each of the secrets that Doppler injects into your config. For example, if
DB_USERis entered, the following secrets would be injected into your config:
- Interval: How often your MySQL passwords are rotated
- MySQL Host: The hostname or IP of your MySQL database
- MySQL port:The port to connect on for your MySQL database. Defaults to 3306.
MySQL user that the Lambda function utilizes to connect to the MySQL database and update each secret instance's password at rotation time. The managing user's credentials are passed to your Lambda function at invocation time.
- The managing user should be a new database user and not a user already in use
- The managing user must be able to update the passwords for each MySQL user instance
Once the managing user is created and entered in Doppler, its password should not be stored anywhere - it should not be used in any other locations.
During the rotation process, Doppler rotates between the MySQL users you provide during the rotation configuration process. By providing the users to Doppler, Doppler doesn't need the ability to create new users - just update user passwords.
There are no requirements related to the users you provide except that that the managing user must be able to update their password.
Updated 3 months ago